Saturday, April 11, 2009

My Brother Joe Fits in This Category...

Last Easter, I asked, begged and cajoled (with a promise of a stop by the diner for an omelet brunch afterward) my older brother Joe into going to church with me for Easter Sunday service. It had been awhile since he had gone (probably Easter 2006), so he agreed (with thoughts of loads of coffee and a heaping pile of fried potatoes motivating him, no doubt) and had an enjoyable time. Unfortunately, he hasn't been back since. So, in about an hour, I'll give him a call and start my pleas for tomorrow.

If you find yourself in the same boat as my brother, or the similar one which has you attending church on Christmas and maybe Mother's Day, too, check out this hilarious article from The Root.com. Entitled "Easter Tips for Heathens", it shares such gems as:

"Don’t overdo the Holy Ghost thing. After the downer of all downers, Good Friday, Easter is a joyous, celebratory event. If you find yourself in a Baptist, Methodist, Evangelical or Pentecostal church, there may be rocking and clapping and hand waving when the choir starts singing. In the more lively churches, people will likely even stand up. Go with the flow if you are comfortable with that, but don’t get carried away. Do not start doing the Cabbage Patch or, God forbid, the Stanky Legg—even if they start singing Kirk Franklin. The choir director has license to break out his funky moves. You do not."

0 comments:

There was an error in this gadget

Picture of The Week

Picture of The Week
K and Z enjoying the Christmas tree.

Pray for Our Nation

Got A Burning Question? Ask Me Here!

Featured Blog Of The Week

Featured Blog Of The Week
Afro-Europe Blog

What I'm Listening to Right Now

What I'm Listening to Right Now
"Food & Liquor 2: The Great American Rap Album" by Lupe Fiasco

What I'm Reading Right Now

What I'm Reading Right Now
"Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets"

Twitter

Far Above Rubies's Fan Box

If You Like What You're Reading, Share!

Share |

They Like Me, They Really Really Like Me!