Thursday, May 28, 2009

Babbling Brooke


Brooke Shields recently told Health Magazine that she has regrets about losing her virginity at age 22- she thought it should have happened sooner. According to Page Six, the actress, who struggled with a low self image, said "I think I would have had sex a lot earlier . . . I would have lost my virginity earlier than I did, at 22, [because] I would have been much more in touch with myself. To me, that's a health regret." Um, WAITING to have sex, as an adult, is a “health regret”? This is the first time I’ve heard that one.

Most of the women I know regret NOT WAITING until they were adults. They (me, too), like Brooke, dealt with low self-esteem as teens, which resulted in poor body images. Unfortunately, this is quite common among young people of both sexes. Sadly, many girls become sexually active at a young age because of their feelings of insecurity, with devastating results. At a age when most can’t even legally drive a car on their own, they deal with STDs, heartbreak, or unwanted pregnancies. Or all three.

Sex, while a wonderful thing, is not a fix for low self-esteem. If you had it before having sex, you’ll most likely have it after, too. It also should not be used as a tool to better get “in touch” with yourself. I don’t even understand how intimately touching another person would help you get in touch with yourself. Yeah, you might learn what you like in bed, but that’s not going to help the insecurities clouding up your head.

0 comments:

There was an error in this gadget

Picture of The Week

Picture of The Week
K and Z enjoying the Christmas tree.

Pray for Our Nation

Got A Burning Question? Ask Me Here!

Featured Blog Of The Week

Featured Blog Of The Week
Afro-Europe Blog

What I'm Listening to Right Now

What I'm Listening to Right Now
"Food & Liquor 2: The Great American Rap Album" by Lupe Fiasco

What I'm Reading Right Now

What I'm Reading Right Now
"Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets"

Twitter

Far Above Rubies's Fan Box

If You Like What You're Reading, Share!

Share |

They Like Me, They Really Really Like Me!