Thursday, May 7, 2009

Faith Grows Dreams

My blog from a couple of days ago discussed faith- from the daily mundane, to trust in the unseen Creator and finally, a hope for future generations that even nonbelievers hold to tightly. I believe for people, no matter their religion (or lack of), faith is natural. God has given us the gift of hope for the future. "He also has planted eternity in men's hearts and minds ...", Ecclesiastes 3:11.

This morning, my thoughts have turned to dreams, and how faith fuels them. I wrote three years ago questioning what would happen to my dream to be a writer since it had been deferred. In "I Went To College For This???" (I'd love to post it here, but unfortunately, after deleting my old MySpace page, it was lost and I'm still looking for another copy), I lamented having my dreams be put on ice for the practical, full time (but hellish) entry level office job I had just begun. I quoted Langston Hughes famous "A Dream Deferred"- and wondered if I'd end up weighted down by unmet expectations, or worse, dealing with nothing but their scorched remnants. I wrote then that I believe dreams are fluid things. They can change shape and even change to become something new outright. A dream can be deferred without it necessarily being destroyed. I know now that in order for them to survive, though, faith must be present. Without belief in something (for me, Someone) greater, they will become sores. Faith acts as a guard to your heart, and a sustainer of dreams.

Hindsight being 20/20, it's been a good thing that I did stay in the safe job. The sad state of the economy has forced many a talanted writer into the taxing world of freelancing, and to be quite honest, I am so very thankful for a regular paycheck. But the biggest blessing, by far, is that by staying, I met my Knight, who has changed my life in so many ways. So did my dream die? No, I'm writing now (albeit, on a much smaller scale). My dream has changed, yes, but along with the writing one, many more have been created. To have an impact on the lives of those who are hurting, to be a great mother, to adopt a child, to travel the world, to participate in a missions trip... my dreams have grown greatly! So I continue to grow my faith- by prayer, reading Scripture, and fellowship- which in turn, fuels my dreams. And I know I'm moving closer to reaching them...


0 comments:

There was an error in this gadget

Picture of The Week

Picture of The Week
K and Z enjoying the Christmas tree.

Pray for Our Nation

Got A Burning Question? Ask Me Here!

Featured Blog Of The Week

Featured Blog Of The Week
Afro-Europe Blog

What I'm Listening to Right Now

What I'm Listening to Right Now
"Food & Liquor 2: The Great American Rap Album" by Lupe Fiasco

What I'm Reading Right Now

What I'm Reading Right Now
"Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets"

Twitter

Far Above Rubies's Fan Box

If You Like What You're Reading, Share!

Share |

They Like Me, They Really Really Like Me!