Thursday, May 14, 2009

The Theory Of Relativity

Over the past week or so, I started reading up on the Emergent Church Movement. My own personal jury is still out at the moment, but I did come upon a good scholarly essay on it that included a whole page about truth. Or at least a page of great quotes on truth, which run counter to post modern thought that truth is relative. Here are some of my favorites:

"If truth is
relative, it's impossible to lie."
Gene Edward Veith


"The business
of truth is not to be deserted even to the sacrifice of our lives, for we live not for this age of ours, nor for the princes, but for the Lord."
Ulrich Zwingli

"Opinions are
relative to cultures but truth isn't"
Peter Kreeft


"If the world
goes against truth then Athanasius goes against the world.
Athanasius

"Peace is such
a precious jewel that I would give anything for it but truth."
Matthew Henry


"Not to take
any side strongly is no evidence of a large soul or a great purpose. It is generally an indication of littleness."
Horatius Bonar


"Tolerance of
everything is a mark of an empty head not a mark of agape love."
Edward J. Carnell


"I am quite
sure that the best way to promote union is to promote truth."
Charles Spurgeon


"We are not
entitled to infer from the fact that a group of people are drawing nearer to each other that any of them is drawing nearer to the truth."
J. I. Packer


"Some preach the
truth and don't have love. Some preach love and don't have the truth. Get the mixture right. You have to mix it."
Vance Havner


"A half-truth
masquerading as the whole truth becomes a complete untruth."
J. I. Packer


"If you believe
what you like in the gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself."
Augustine

0 comments:

There was an error in this gadget

Picture of The Week

Picture of The Week
K and Z enjoying the Christmas tree.

Pray for Our Nation

Got A Burning Question? Ask Me Here!

Featured Blog Of The Week

Featured Blog Of The Week
Afro-Europe Blog

What I'm Listening to Right Now

What I'm Listening to Right Now
"Food & Liquor 2: The Great American Rap Album" by Lupe Fiasco

What I'm Reading Right Now

What I'm Reading Right Now
"Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets"

Twitter

Far Above Rubies's Fan Box

If You Like What You're Reading, Share!

Share |

They Like Me, They Really Really Like Me!