Friday, May 1, 2009

There REALLY Isn’t Anything New Under The Sun…

…especially in music. I was listening to 107.5, New York’s WBLS, a couple of weeks ago, and Michael Jackson’s “I Can’t Help It” started playing. This is a song from his “Off The Wall” album. As I was listening, I immediately liked it. A lot. So smooth… and earnest. And familiar?? I turned up the volume. Yes, most definitely familiar. Where had I heard the music from??? Not my childhood. While my Dad did have a few of Michael’s albums, the only one I can actually recall hearing is “Thriller.” It took a minute, but then I remembered the music had definitely been sampled on Fabolous’ 2004 “Baby.” And no, I don’t have exceptionally good memory when it comes to music from five years ago. It just so happens that K has the CD in the car. Click below for Michael’s version and Fabolous’ song.

Michael




Fabolous



This isn’t the only time an artist has borrowed from the King of Pop. It was only a couple of years ago that I realized LL Cool J did with his 1995 hit “Hey, Lover” with Boyz II Men. Michael first made the track a hit with his “Lady In My Life” off of “Thriller.”

Michael



LL Cool J



Sampling, remixing, covering- all of it is a given in music. Unfortunately, it does sometimes go wrong, like when Beyonce hurriedly recorded "Still in Love (Kissing You)" for her “B’Day” album… without giving credit to Des’ree, who first released it as “I’m Kissing You” on the Romeo & Juliet soundtrack. Whoops. Thanks to my brother for pointing this one out to me.

Anyway, if you think you might be experiencing musical déjà vu but are unsure of how to prove it, I found this site to be fantastic. Oh, and if you happen to be listening to ANYTHING released by P. Diddy, you can rest assure, no, it is not original. Ok, almost anything...

0 comments:

There was an error in this gadget

Picture of The Week

Picture of The Week
K and Z enjoying the Christmas tree.

Pray for Our Nation

Got A Burning Question? Ask Me Here!

Featured Blog Of The Week

Featured Blog Of The Week
Afro-Europe Blog

What I'm Listening to Right Now

What I'm Listening to Right Now
"Food & Liquor 2: The Great American Rap Album" by Lupe Fiasco

What I'm Reading Right Now

What I'm Reading Right Now
"Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets"

Twitter

Far Above Rubies's Fan Box

If You Like What You're Reading, Share!

Share |

They Like Me, They Really Really Like Me!