Monday, August 24, 2009

So What Happened to We're All One in Christ?




I was watching an ABC Evening News story last night about two Kentucky Southern Baptist Chrurches- one White, one Black- that due to economic and other issues, combined into one large congregation. While the story was full of hope, I couldn't help but feel appalled that this "groundbreaking" story, took place, not in 1969, but just this summer. The segment offered up this scary statistic- just "five percent" of churches nationwide are mutiracial (!). I now feel extra fortunate to have belonged to a nondenominational church which is full of different cultures, races and ages.


While watching the story, I couldn't help but think of Galatians 3:28: "There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus." While looking up this verse, I found a few others for cross-reference which are also very fitting to this topic:



  • For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body, whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free, and we were all made to drink of one Spirit. (I Cor 12:13)

  • For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus. (Gal 3:26)

  • For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision means anything, but faith working through love. (Gal 5:6)

0 comments:

There was an error in this gadget

Picture of The Week

Picture of The Week
K and Z enjoying the Christmas tree.

Pray for Our Nation

Got A Burning Question? Ask Me Here!

Featured Blog Of The Week

Featured Blog Of The Week
Afro-Europe Blog

What I'm Listening to Right Now

What I'm Listening to Right Now
"Food & Liquor 2: The Great American Rap Album" by Lupe Fiasco

What I'm Reading Right Now

What I'm Reading Right Now
"Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets"

Twitter

Far Above Rubies's Fan Box

If You Like What You're Reading, Share!

Share |

They Like Me, They Really Really Like Me!