Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The Worst Video for the "Best" Song

This photo was taken during an MTV interview during which Drake reportedly said Kanye West "oozes" creativity. Creativity to cleverly destroy Drake's burgeoning rap career, perhaps?


This past spring/summer, there were a few singles out that I put into my personal playlist rotation. Which really means they were on a mix CD K made that I played in the car on the way to run errands. Nevertheless, I enjoyed this CD and listening to it made driving around in Jersey traffic (more) bearable. Some of my favorite songs were Kid Cudi's "Day 'N' Nite" and "Make Her Say", Jay-Z's "Brooklyn (We Go Hard)" and Drake's "Best I Ever Had". It's this last one that has brought about the most emotion in me, and that's not a good thing in this case.

The song, far from being groundbreaking, is flirty, fun and somewhat sweet. While the song was laced with the usual sexual overtones, some lines are softly charming and cute: "Sweat pants, hair tied, chillin' with no make-up on/ That's when you're the prettiest, I hope that you don't take it wrong". Drake raps of being able to "lean on" his girlfriend, a girl so loyal she's at "Every single show she out there reppin' like a mascot". Aww. Nice. She's there for him, he recognizes, acknowledges and appreciates it. So it's no "You're All I Need", either the Marvin and Tammi original or Method and Mary classic redux. But considering what else is playing these days on Hot 97, it's nice.

Or at least, I thought it was- until the video. At some point this summer, I was flipping through the channels and landed on it on MTV2 (since MTV seemingly ceased actually playing music videoes after N'Sync became instinct) and was immediately horrified. The video shows a bunch of girls on a basketball team, scantily clad, taking direction by Coach Drake. Slow-mo laps by the girls revealed more cleavage than the opening credits of "Baywatch" ever did. The video was not just contradictory- how did a song about ONE special girl visually translate to a video about a TEAM of unskilled girls?- but also confusing. How old are these girls? High school? Shudder... hope not, cause the video just went from poor to perverted. Why is Drake back in a high school, even if it is in a leadership position? I'd think after his stint at Canadian High School "Degrassi", he might want to leave that alone. But I guess not. Who, I wondered, could possibly be behind such a head scratchingly bad production? Drake couldn't have done this much damage to himself, could he? Of course not. He can thank Mr. Kanye Mess.

My advice to Drake is, stay FAR, FAR AWAY from crazy Kanye. Do you really want to take any career advice from this guy? Really, him? Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised to learn I was not the only one who was sorely disappointed by the "Breast I Ever Had" video. K posted this hilarious spoof video on his blog on Sunday, and I had to re-post it here. It's hilarious!

2 comments:

Cathy G said...

I love the spoof. He's got Drake DEAD ON. I watched the original video too by the way, and oh my goodness. Filled to the brim with stupid decisions. Little DeGrassi man needs to learn some skills with being tasteful and effective. Sad waste of pretty girls and money on a video.

Alisha De Freitas said...

Hey Cathy,

Thanks for leaving a comment. Yup, he messed up big time here. This was his first solo video, and you only have one chance to make a good first impression. Sheesh... here's hoping he goes in a better direction next time.

There was an error in this gadget

Picture of The Week

Picture of The Week
K and Z enjoying the Christmas tree.

Pray for Our Nation

Got A Burning Question? Ask Me Here!

Featured Blog Of The Week

Featured Blog Of The Week
Afro-Europe Blog

What I'm Listening to Right Now

What I'm Listening to Right Now
"Food & Liquor 2: The Great American Rap Album" by Lupe Fiasco

What I'm Reading Right Now

What I'm Reading Right Now
"Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets"

Twitter

Far Above Rubies's Fan Box

If You Like What You're Reading, Share!

Share |

They Like Me, They Really Really Like Me!