Thursday, October 1, 2009

Conan vs. Cory: Brick City Blathering

Fresh off the heels of Sundance's airing of "Brick City", a documentary about New Jersey's most infamous city, Newark, last week, Conan O'Brien decided to take a swipe at the beleagured metropolis on the "Tonight Show". Mayor Cory Booker posted this YouTube video as a response:



I'm a Jersey girl, born and raised, all 27 years of my life spent residing in suburbs just south of Newark. My Daddy worked there for decades, and I sneaked off to Broad Street as a college freshman with my friend Kandi to buy sneakers for far lower prices than at the many malls that are plopped in every other town in the Garden State. why, you might wonder, would I sneak there as an adult? Because of stories like this. Or this. Sigh... the truth is, Newark is a gritty place. I would never want to live there. I only go there when I absolutely have to, like when my uncle had open heart surgery and I visited him in the hospital. Or K and I have to eat jerk chicken. But that's about it.

That being said, comedians, please pick on other cities for a change. Lay off Newark. It's struggling to come up and doesn't need to be continually kicked down by people who reside in California somewhere. And while you're at it, leave New Jersey out of your routines, too! Sure we have rather stinky exits off the Turnpike, but we have nice ones, too, and it's not like Los Angeles smells like a bed of roses. Yes, we do have a prepondance of McMansions, but so do most states- ever visit southern Florida? And yeah, we know you have to keep your flip-flops on while walking our beaches because of the liter, but have you ever been to Coney Island??? Leave Dirty Jersey alone! It's not prefect, but it's our home. At least, until we flee.

0 comments:

There was an error in this gadget

Picture of The Week

Picture of The Week
K and Z enjoying the Christmas tree.

Pray for Our Nation

Got A Burning Question? Ask Me Here!

Featured Blog Of The Week

Featured Blog Of The Week
Afro-Europe Blog

What I'm Listening to Right Now

What I'm Listening to Right Now
"Food & Liquor 2: The Great American Rap Album" by Lupe Fiasco

What I'm Reading Right Now

What I'm Reading Right Now
"Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets"

Twitter

Far Above Rubies's Fan Box

If You Like What You're Reading, Share!

Share |

They Like Me, They Really Really Like Me!