Monday, November 9, 2009

I Am Not My Hair



Throughout the next week or so, I'm going to be a series of articles on hair, focusing primarily on Black hair, entitled Hair Stories. From the long and short of it, I'll get the inside scoop from women who rock wigs, weaves, locs and braids. Those who want to keep it natural. The ladies who wouldn't dream of going without a relaxer. The mommies who struggle to pass on pride to their daughters regarding their thick tresses, only to go up against a society that still frowns on it. They'll be poems and pictures, too, and if you want to share your story, song or poem, just drop me a line at alishadefreitas@gmail.com. I'd love to hear from you!

For now, enjoy India Arie's video with Akon, in "I Am Not My Hair" by clicking here.

2 comments:

Love Abounds At Home said...

I'm looking forward to read about black hair. Since moving to the Vancouver/Portland area, I haven't had to relax my hair as often. My hair has never feel so good. Maybe the moisture, idk.
I am the one who wouldn't dream about going without a relaxer! Lol

Alisha De Freitas said...

I think weather makes a big difference on your hair. In the winter (I'm in Jersey), I really can't complain about my hair at all. Very manageable. In the summer? Lol, not so much. I wear my hair up alot during July and August.

When I visited Miami, my hair was uncontrollable! Frizzy and dried out quickly. I know if I moved there, I'd probably just cut my hair off. It wouldn't be worth the hassle!

I hope you enjoy the series, and if you want to contribute, just send me an email!

There was an error in this gadget

Picture of The Week

Picture of The Week
K and Z enjoying the Christmas tree.

Pray for Our Nation

Got A Burning Question? Ask Me Here!

Featured Blog Of The Week

Featured Blog Of The Week
Afro-Europe Blog

What I'm Listening to Right Now

What I'm Listening to Right Now
"Food & Liquor 2: The Great American Rap Album" by Lupe Fiasco

What I'm Reading Right Now

What I'm Reading Right Now
"Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets"

Twitter

Far Above Rubies's Fan Box

If You Like What You're Reading, Share!

Share |

They Like Me, They Really Really Like Me!