Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Music Malaise: The Week in Music

Out now, the unappetizing "Video Phone" by Beyonce and Lady Gaga. It'll turn your stomach so bad you'll pass on those Thanksgiving leftovers.



On Twitter (follow me!), my friend Cathy sent me the link to Beyonce and Lady Gaga's latest joint collaboration, the icky "Video Phone". Cathy wrote "I found it disturbing. Keep the younger generation in prayer." After viewing it, I could understand her concern. Not only is the song blaise (B, what's going on with you? Ever since your "B-Day", things have been sliding down hill. It's cool to have a few fun, radio friendly bland songs, but why is everything you've put out lately sound the same?), but the video tries to up the sexy, but winds up slutty. I don't like the male dancers with the camera heads (weird), but having them simulate "snapping pics" of the ladies' crotch areas is gross. And incredibly stupid. The video will unfortunately be admired most by high schoolers, and today's current group of teens do not need to be bombarded by media messages to skank it up in front of recording devices. Sexting isn't cute, and can be illegal. And we all know how well the mix of a camera and nudity turned out for Carrie Prejean.


Rihanna advertises her single "Russian Roulette" with a tat of a gun. Okay, not really. She got this earlier this year for non-promotional reasons. I think.


Another thing I didn't understand (or like) in the video was the brightly colored guns. What's that about? An homage to super soakers? At least Beyonce's and Lady Gaga's guns looked like child's play, especially compared to Rihanna's disturbing turn in "Russian Roulette." In the first single off her latest album "Rated R", Ri Ri lives up to the album's title in the video as she acts out her death- several times over. Oh how times have changed since Rihanna's mentor, Jay-Z, played out his demise in "99 Problems" five years ago and raised quite a few eyebrows. But times, they are a-changing, and the violence that caused a rapper to provide a cautionary preface in a video in '04 is overlooked in '09 when performed by a pop princess. I actually felt sadness watching the video. Why all the gun play? Why the darkness? After having such a tumultous year, why would Rihanna close it out on such a negative note? As unbelievable as it is for me to state this, here's to hoping Rihanna will "Shut Up" and again grab her "Umbrella"- ella,ella.


Not quite sure what state of mind Jay Z was in when he took this picture with the beautiful Ms. Keys.

Speaking of Jay-Z, I just wanted to quickly comment on a line from his chart-topping song "Empire State of Mind" with Alicia Keys. I've liked this song for months-it gives me the urge to jump on the PATH and take a trip to NYC. But, there is one line that irks me: "And Jesus can't save you, life starts when church ends." I do agree with that last part, that life really gets at you when you step foot out of the chapel. It's super easy to praise the Lord when the Worship Team is singing heavenly at the 11am service, but it's a lot harder to keep that praise going throughout the week when your company is facing layoffs and your marriage is crumbling. However, it's not a building we should run to for security, but God: "He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the LORD, "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust." Psalm 91:1-2. And contrary to Jay-hovah's words, Jehovah's Son can and does save (Matthew 1:21, Acts 15:11, I Peter 3:21). So I'll end my sermon here, and request that you testify, uh er, share your opinions on songs and videos. I'm always very thankful for comments. :-)


2 comments:

Don said...

Love the way you broke down the line taken from the Empire State of Mind song. I agree with your assessment.

Too funny @ you calling Video Phone "icky." So true @ today's current group of teens do not need to be bombarded by media messages to skank it up in front of recording devices.

Alisha De Freitas said...

Thanks, Don. I know so many rap songs are litered with lines like Jigga's, but I had to make a comment about it anyway.

As for me using the word "icky", I actually say it, too. In school I was always teased for using words like that along with SAT ones, too. It's a mix of highbrow vocab, colloquialisms, regional dialect, "Clueless" and a dash of "Lord have mercy's" thanks to my Southerm Grandma. It's weird, but it's me, lol.

There was an error in this gadget

Picture of The Week

Picture of The Week
K and Z enjoying the Christmas tree.

Pray for Our Nation

Got A Burning Question? Ask Me Here!

Featured Blog Of The Week

Featured Blog Of The Week
Afro-Europe Blog

What I'm Listening to Right Now

What I'm Listening to Right Now
"Food & Liquor 2: The Great American Rap Album" by Lupe Fiasco

What I'm Reading Right Now

What I'm Reading Right Now
"Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets"

Twitter

Far Above Rubies's Fan Box

If You Like What You're Reading, Share!

Share |

They Like Me, They Really Really Like Me!