Sunday, February 14, 2010

A Valentine to My Bestest



Giddel and I at her 18th birthday party in 2001.


Very rarely do I get a chance to tell my best friend Giddel how much I love her, so I'm going to tell her now. We don't talk on the phone all the time, and we're certainly not talking through Warinaco Park or bouncing on that trampoline in your Mom's backyard anymore (even though I wish we could still sometimes). But you're still my best friend, and I'm so glad we met back on September 4, 1997 (yes, psycho with the dates, ha ha). I love you so much. Thanks for listening to me cry over my parent's divorce, being dumped by boyfriends and arguments with Joscelyne. For laughing with me as we tried to get to parade's (but didn't make it), going to concerts at Kean and driving 13 hours in my 1995 Hyndai Elantra for a weekend vacation (I still have "Dangerously in Love" implanted in my brain). Thanks for making me Benaiah's godmother (and not stopping me from claiming Saphirra). For making my wedding happen. For believing it SHOULD happen. I love you, girly, my sister from another mister. Happy Valentine's Day. *Long Distance Hugs & Kisses*

We were all hugs after the Homecoming Party at my alma mater in October 2001.


Road trip! Posing at Virginia Beach, Virginia, in July 2003.


At my surprise Graduation Party, May 2004.




Chilling out at my very first apartment, which she helped paint, in September 2007.


There were hugs (and some tears for me) on her last day of work before moving from Dirty Jerz to Virginia in February 2008.

A big hug and quiet words after I took my vows in October 2008.

Smiling at the reception afterward... she did the flowers and make-up. I still have never felt prettier. Love you.



4 comments:

Don said...

Very touching post.

It caught me off guard - last night I attended a Vday bash and saw the widow of my longtime friend who was murdered Christmas Day '08 and we talked and she shed a tear when I brought up Reese (the deceased). So, reading such a heartfelt friendship post, this after watching the We Are The World video, made me teary eyed.


Again, touching and beautiful post.

Alisha De Freitas said...

Aww, Don, thanks! Our lives are made invaluable not just by the romantic relationships, but our truest friendships. I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. May he rest in peace.

On a total other note... the video for the new "We Are the World" has been released? Boy, am I behind, lol. I only saw still pics. I gotta check that out.

Giddel said...

Thank you sooooooo much!! Happy Valentines day Sis! I love you and always will. this is such a wonderful present and I will definitely keep this for years to come. And, thank God I have you to remember dates because you already know how I am.

Love you, your forever cheerleader
Gigi

Alisha De Freitas said...

Love you, too, mama. Know I'm your cheerleader, too, and I'll always be here 4 u... (going to have to keep pushing K for that move in the next couple of years, lol).

There was an error in this gadget

Picture of The Week

Picture of The Week
K and Z enjoying the Christmas tree.

Pray for Our Nation

Got A Burning Question? Ask Me Here!

Featured Blog Of The Week

Featured Blog Of The Week
Afro-Europe Blog

What I'm Listening to Right Now

What I'm Listening to Right Now
"Food & Liquor 2: The Great American Rap Album" by Lupe Fiasco

What I'm Reading Right Now

What I'm Reading Right Now
"Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets"

Twitter

Far Above Rubies's Fan Box

If You Like What You're Reading, Share!

Share |

They Like Me, They Really Really Like Me!