Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Jesus Did Not Mean "Do The James Brown" In Remembrance of Him

Black churches have long had a history of being very emotive. But this... this is just a hot mess!


In what can be described as a "Holy Ghost" sacrilege (yes, I'm quite aware that thos three words should not even go together), one overzealous brother "caught the spirit" while testifying, and began shouting... on the Communion Table. Yes, stepping right over the pulpit, Brother Footloose lost his mind and began tap dancing, spinning and pretty much shucking and jiving all over... the COMMUNION TABLE. Sadly, Jesus' words "This Do In Remembrance of Me" are carved right on the front of the table where normally the bread and wine rests, but in this crazed instance held his quickly tapping toes. He does make his way off the table to dance, running man-style, center stage, while the drummer just kept time with the madness.




In all my years of being Pentecostal, I never saw nearly anything so demented. PEOPLE: You better be careful what church you go to, because I don't know what "Spirit" would drive a person to such nuttery, but it ain't holy.

6 comments:

Love Abounds At Home said...

I saw this video a few weeks ago and it left me speechless. I'm pentecostal and proud, but I'm not proud of this!

Alisha De Freitas said...

I don't know how they could be! Making a mockery of church! They ought to be ashamed!

Have you ever been in a service where people pushed things too far? Once, back in the 90's, at a young people's service, the keyboardist decided to mix secular music into the worship time. He added some Busta Rhymes and he was fine. But then he slipped and did a Biggie Smalls song... which happens to use a sample of the Isley Brother's iconic "Between The Sheets"... which resulted in the older folks catching on to the worldly remix and a quick take over of the service!

So does anyone else have any the saints or the pastor got extra stories? I'd love to hear them! Share away!

Anonymous said...

Hi Alisha,

"I don't know what "Spirit" would drive a person to such nuttery, but it ain't holy."

I fully agree.

I am not Pentecostal, which means I do not believe God is giving the "sign gifts" today. Nevertheless, for those who do believe in those gifts today, we have the admonition given by Paul during a time that those gifts definitely were present. In 1 Cor. 14:40 he says, "Let all things be done properly and in an orderly manner."

However, Paul makes another statement that is often overlooked. Concerning the display you describe in your post, I think this verse should be given serious consideration by all: if unbelievers are present, "will they not say that you are mad?" (1 Cor. 14:23).

Ken Morgan

Alisha De Freitas said...

Amen, Ken! Because that looked like pure madness! By the way, while I'm not a cessasionist, I'm no longer Pentecostal, either. But please believe me, I NEVER visited or belonged to any Pentecostal/Holiness/AoG/Charasmatic church they would have allowed this foolishness. It's just shameful.

Thank you for leaving a comment, and feel free to continue sharing.

Joe said...

you need to add a "shake my head" button...Wow shame.

Alisha De Freitas said...

@Joe, duly noted.

There was an error in this gadget

Picture of The Week

Picture of The Week
K and Z enjoying the Christmas tree.

Pray for Our Nation

Got A Burning Question? Ask Me Here!

Featured Blog Of The Week

Featured Blog Of The Week
Afro-Europe Blog

What I'm Listening to Right Now

What I'm Listening to Right Now
"Food & Liquor 2: The Great American Rap Album" by Lupe Fiasco

What I'm Reading Right Now

What I'm Reading Right Now
"Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets"

Twitter

Far Above Rubies's Fan Box

If You Like What You're Reading, Share!

Share |

They Like Me, They Really Really Like Me!