Friday, April 16, 2010

"Hateful Christians"?

Sometimes it's a hard balance being in the world, but not a part of it. We want to stay true to our faith... without becoming modern day, self-righteous Pharisees, similar to Mandy Moore's crazed, Bible-hurling character of condemnation in 2004's "Saved!". It's actually like walking a tightrope.


I found this video on YouTube made by a guy named Chris Crocker. I really feel bad for him, since he sounds so... tormented. His rant is weird and at times nonsensical (Jesus died for Pamela and Tommy Lee so they can get it on for the cameras? Huh?), but oddly poignant.





You can go to his actual channel to read the various replies, ranging from basically, there is no such thing as sin (or God) all the way to those who felt it necessary to pull out the Old Testament verses to threaten, uh er warn the dude of his impending destruction. I'm not one to dump Scripture because it's not P.C., and post-modern revisions of the Bible doesn't change the fact that sexual immorality in all it's forms is sinful. But at the same time, I can’t help feel that after watching this guy’s video, if the first comment you can type involves “abomination” and “stoning”, you are at least a bit like Mandy Moore’s “Hilary Faye” in "Saved!"- quick to hurl Scripture as a weapon against people who need God the most, all the while claiming to be “filled with Christ’s love.”

So, I’m going to pray for Chris. He seems so full of anger, hurt and vengeance. And he is at least right on one point. Jesus did die for everyone- even the people who hate him. Because God loves us all.

2 comments:

Cathy said...

His devotion and passion are incredible, but my heart aches for him being misguided. He shouldn't be persecuted, but he should not try to make God accept Chris' version of what God would want him to be (if that makes sense). Also, it doesn't register to me how One man could be a "son AND daughter of God."
I've seen his other videos, and a lot of times, I don't think his intention is to look for help/counsel/advice, but rather just to rant. I'll be praying for him too. =\

Alisha De Freitas said...

What you wrote does make a whole lot of sense. I think he honestly believes that God not only accepts all, but all their actions (even the sinful ones), which is not the truth. He seems to be trying to make objectors accept Chris' version of what God would want him to be, since He already believes that's what God thinks anyway (I hope that made sense).

And no I don't get how a person can be a son and daughter, too... especially cause I don't think he's referring to hermaphrodites. :-/

There was an error in this gadget

Picture of The Week

Picture of The Week
K and Z enjoying the Christmas tree.

Pray for Our Nation

Got A Burning Question? Ask Me Here!

Featured Blog Of The Week

Featured Blog Of The Week
Afro-Europe Blog

What I'm Listening to Right Now

What I'm Listening to Right Now
"Food & Liquor 2: The Great American Rap Album" by Lupe Fiasco

What I'm Reading Right Now

What I'm Reading Right Now
"Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets"

Twitter

Far Above Rubies's Fan Box

If You Like What You're Reading, Share!

Share |

They Like Me, They Really Really Like Me!