Thursday, May 6, 2010

Today is The National Day of Prayer


From The Billy Graham Evangelistic Association:

“Prayer is the most powerful resource we have in this life. May we as followers of Christ and citizens of the United States humble ourselves before the only One who blessed the prayers of our forefathers and showered this land with greatness ...

May God the Father, the Lord Jesus Christ, be once again exalted in our halls of government, in our sanctuaries of worship, and in human hearts that need His healing touch. Join me in prayer for America on Thursday, May 6, 2010 for the National Day of Prayer”

—Franklin Graham
President and CEO of BGEA and Samaritan’s Purse

  • Why Pray?
"As American troops stormed the beaches of Normandy, President Franklin Roosevelt called for our nation to unite in prayer. He also offered a prayer to prepare each citizen for the road ahead. “Let our hearts be stout, to wait out the long travail, to bear sorrows that may come, to impart our courage unto our sons wheresoever they may be. And, O Lord, give us faith. Give us faith in Thee.” The victory that followed on June 6, 1944-also known as D-Day-began the march to Berlin. Eighteen months later, WWII was over and one of the world’s greatest evils had been defeated. The prayers of a nation had been a powerful force..." To read the rest, click here.

  • What is this all about?
"The National Day of Prayer was established as an annual event in 1952 by a joint resolution of the United States Congress and signed into law by President Harry S. Truman. The observance of the National Day of Prayer is founded on the constitutional rights of freedom of speech and freedom of religion and can be celebrated by all Americans." To read the rest, click here.

  • How can you get involved?

    You can attend an event being held nationwide, check it out on Facebook and Twitter, use your iPhone, attend an online community of intercession or just get tips on prayer by going here.

If you have a prayer request you'd like me to pray for, you can email me at alishadefreitas@gmail.com, send it to me anonymously via Formspring, or just leave a comment. And if you want to say a prayer for me regarding my health, I'd appreciate it a lot.

3 comments:

Don said...

I agree that it should begin and end in prayer. By it, I mean life, period.

Certainly cannot live without a spiritual relationship.

Since you offer prayers I would ask that you provide a prayer concerning my two youngest daughters and I becoming reunited. Of course, I have no problem praying for your health to improve, Godspeed.

Thank you.

Adam said...

I really enjoyed your blog. It was very well written! Also, thank you for drawing attention to The National Day of Prayer. You can help call our nation to prayer by posting this prayer request to your blog's side panel. I'm hoping that our country will turn to God in prayer.

http://nationalprayerbank.com/Widgets/gjjmqiucar/

Many Blessings!
Adam

Alisha De Freitas said...

@Don, of course I will say a prayer for you and your daughters.

@Adam,thanks for leaving a comment, and I have added the widget to the side of my blog. I hope it will encourage people to take a minute to pray.

There was an error in this gadget

Picture of The Week

Picture of The Week
K and Z enjoying the Christmas tree.

Pray for Our Nation

Got A Burning Question? Ask Me Here!

Featured Blog Of The Week

Featured Blog Of The Week
Afro-Europe Blog

What I'm Listening to Right Now

What I'm Listening to Right Now
"Food & Liquor 2: The Great American Rap Album" by Lupe Fiasco

What I'm Reading Right Now

What I'm Reading Right Now
"Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets"

Twitter

Far Above Rubies's Fan Box

If You Like What You're Reading, Share!

Share |

They Like Me, They Really Really Like Me!