Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Seaside? Nah, I go to Point Pleasant.

What happens in Seaside Heights SHOULD stay in Seaside Heights.



With all the attention the cast of "The Jersey Shore" has brought to Seaside Heights, I've been asked repeatedly how it's like in the seaside town. My response? Meh.

It's not that it's bad, it's just that I found it a lot more fun about ten years ago. My high school senior class went there for our tip. I hung there with my girls in college, walking the boardwalk and checking out guys.

But now? Meh. Thirty is lurking closer and closer, and my choice in beaches have changed drastically. I have nephews, and it's nice to be able to put them on rides at Jenkinson's Pier sans a colossal wait. I prefer the less-crowded beach and the more quiet atmosphere. The parking can still be a headache, but then at Seaside, it's more like a massive migraine. And if I really wanted to do it up big, I'd keep on south past beaches and go to Wildwood. This isn't me being snarky; it's my preference as a Jersey Girl.

Well, according to this MSNBC story, even non-Jersey residents are bearing witness to the fact that the actual Seaside is FAR different from what's shown on TV:

As a southern California-raised beach bum, a summer at the shore sounds like every season of my life. After seeing the show, I figured the East Coast shore must have something different than the West Coast beaches.

"...So I set my sights on Seaside Heights to recreate all the memorable experiences on the show. “Jersey Shore” might portray it as a summer playground for boozehounds and desperate 20-somethings full of libido, but after one night I can assure you it is nothing like what’s on TV.

Myth No. 1: Seaside Heights is the hottest summer spot. Reality: Yeah, not so much.

“You really don’t want to go to Seaside Heights,” my co-worker Cathy, who hails from New Jersey said. “I’m getting shivers just thinking about it!”

She explained that Seaside Heights used to be the destination for high-school and college kids — a decade ago. Where there used to be clubs lining the boardwalk, now there’s Big Blue, a tackily lit blue building that is referred to as Karma on the show.

Myth No. 2: It’s a nice drive down to the Shore. Reality: It’s true — if you don’t mind traffic, bad public transportation and hitching a ride with your bartender.

The first episode of each season always features the cast driving down. Where’s the scene of them getting stuck in traffic? Or the fact if you don’t have a car, it’s nearly impossible to get there?

There was only one N.J. Transit bus on Saturday that would take me and my friends to the “Jersey Shore” location from New York City. It left at 9:30 a.m. and returned at 5:30 p.m. No train dared to go there. The scheduled two-hour bus ride turned into four.

On our return trip, we hitched a ride with a local bartender, who drove us 30 minutes to the next town over to catch a bus back to the city..."


Ha ha ha, Jersey traffic, so true, so true. If you want to read more myths busted, click here.

2 comments:

Keiron said...

Myths sound like the author took the words verbatim from one of our many discussions.

Alisha De Freitas said...

I agree. I am going to put this under "Rants with K". Lol!

There was an error in this gadget

Picture of The Week

Picture of The Week
K and Z enjoying the Christmas tree.

Pray for Our Nation

Got A Burning Question? Ask Me Here!

Featured Blog Of The Week

Featured Blog Of The Week
Afro-Europe Blog

What I'm Listening to Right Now

What I'm Listening to Right Now
"Food & Liquor 2: The Great American Rap Album" by Lupe Fiasco

What I'm Reading Right Now

What I'm Reading Right Now
"Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets"

Twitter

Far Above Rubies's Fan Box

If You Like What You're Reading, Share!

Share |

They Like Me, They Really Really Like Me!