Friday, September 10, 2010

Music Minute: Willow Smith Can "Whip" It Real Good- at 9

Mini-Rihanna, uh er, Willow Smith.


I guess Will Smith & Jada Pinkett-Smith just can't help but spawn greatness. I fell in love with Jaden in "Karate Kid" this summer (HEY! Don't you judge me! At least I didn't pounce around with Justin Beiber playing "Mrs. Robinson" like a certain Kardashian). Now I get to love yet another little Smith, nine year old Willow. Putting all the little R&B divas more than twice her age to shame, Willow has put out "Whip My Hair"- and nabbed a deal with Jigga's Roc Nation. On a side note...psst, Will, Jada... um, if you start seeing Willow with pyramids, t-shirts with a single cyclop-like eye or expressing great admiration for the Def Jam founder who was NOT once married to Kimora Lee... be afraid... be VERY AFRAID.

Anyway, enjoy the music!


Willow Smith - "Whip My Hair Clean" by clutchmag

5 comments:

Don said...

funny post. i have yet to hear Willow's song, which is burning up the internet, but i will take the time to listen to both her and Bizzle's efforts sometime this weekend. judging from the image, the child does appear to be influenced by Rihanna and her mom, of course. kids growing up fast, yo.

Alisha De Freitas said...

She's a beautiful girl, but it won't be my 4th grader with a mohawk. Even if Willow does have a great sense of style already, lol.

The song is pop fun. And Bizzle... well, tell me he isn't make a whole lot of sense there.

Dani said...

Willow's song is very catchy but I was a little taken aback by how grown she sounds. She is 9 years old after all.

Will and Jada have definitely encouraged their children to embrace the spotlight with confidence and original style. It will be interesting to see how their personalities and emotional states will evolve over time.

Something about child stardom has always made me uneasy but I guess I can't really judge since I've never experienced it and there's nothing technically wrong with it.

Alisha De Freitas said...

Hi Dani! Yeah, there is definitely something about child stardom that makes me uneasy. I think it's the fact so many kids wind up exploited. Or on drugs (think River Phoenix, Lindsay Lohan) hooked on alcohol (Britney Spears, Corey Haim) or tainted for life (Michael Jackson).

At least with Willow and Jaden, they have two parents who love them and have been in the business for a long time and provide guidance.

I wish them all well.

Alisha De Freitas said...

By the way, Dani, your site, "Esther's News" looks amazing. I'll be checking it out!

There was an error in this gadget

Picture of The Week

Picture of The Week
K and Z enjoying the Christmas tree.

Pray for Our Nation

Got A Burning Question? Ask Me Here!

Featured Blog Of The Week

Featured Blog Of The Week
Afro-Europe Blog

What I'm Listening to Right Now

What I'm Listening to Right Now
"Food & Liquor 2: The Great American Rap Album" by Lupe Fiasco

What I'm Reading Right Now

What I'm Reading Right Now
"Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets"

Twitter

Far Above Rubies's Fan Box

If You Like What You're Reading, Share!

Share |

They Like Me, They Really Really Like Me!