Friday, October 15, 2010

Do You Dream of Having a McWedding?


Yeah, you read that title right. I first read this over on And Sometimes Tea:

"So, earlier today I was reading over at Creative Minority Report (a daily must-read!) about the practice in Hong Kong of holding McWeddings complete with the McCeremony and the McReception at McDonald's restaurants in that city.

Because nothing says "decadent Western wedding!" like a ceremony held under the Golden Arches."



I find this to be pretty weird. I don't get why people would want to hold their wedding at a place known for being cheap, quick and unhealthy. Not the impression I'd want to give my family and friends of my new life with Hubby.

The TV show "Bridezillas" showcases bratty Brides-to-be who all believe they are princesses. Turns out there are a number of other women who want to be princesses, too- but of the Disney variety. From Shine by way of And Sometimes Tea:

If you're looking for a fairy tale ending, you'll need a proposal from your very own Prince Charming and a dress fit for a princess. But how would you feel dressing like a Disney princess? Wedding outfitter Alfred Angelo has teamed up Disney on a collection of gowns inspired by those worn by princesses Ariel, Aurora (Sleeping Beauty), Belle, Cinderella, Jasmine, Snow White and Tiana.

No, we're not joking. You can actually dress like the Little Mermaid on your wedding day. Granted there is no aqua mermaid tail, but sea-inspired dress does have a mermaid-style cut, pearl beading, and sequin sparkles. Each of the other gowns takes on a similar liberal interpretation on the style of the princesses. The Sleeping Beauty gown is romantic with a willowy skirt. Belle's dress has a draped waistline and is inspired by the ballroom dance scene from the movie. The Cinderella-inspired dress is heavy on sparkle as a reference to her glass slipper. Snow White's dress is traditional and inspired by nature with a floral bodice. For those looking for a more modern approach, Jasmine's dress is draped satin with a bejeweled neckline, and the Tiana gown features an asymmetrical top and ruched skirt. Thankfully none of these interpretations were so literally that wedding guests would immediately identify the designs as inspired by a Disney character.



I'm personally relieved the dresses look like... dresses, and not costumes. But I can't help think both the concepts of McWeddings and Disney Brides are signs of arrested development- and I'm not talking about the canceled Fox show or the 90's rap group. I still hold on to parts of my childhood- my old Barbies, diaries, pom-poms from cheerleading. But I don't want to live in the past, nor would it be healthy. If marriage has taught me one thing (although it's taught me many), it is being selfless. It's operating as "we" not "me". Totally opposite of how the average Happy Meal munching, Disney-loving child operates. Which is a very good thing.

To each their own, though. What do you think?

2 comments:

Don said...

Agreed. To each it's own. I doubt very seriously if I could enter into such a strong commitment as marriage vows while standing in a Mickey D's and/or seeing my wife dressed up as a Disney character.

It would appear overly playful in my opinion.

Alisha De Freitas said...

"I doubt very seriously if I could enter into such a strong commitment as marriage vows while standing in a Mickey D's..."

BWAH HA HA HA HA HA!!!!

There was an error in this gadget

Picture of The Week

Picture of The Week
K and Z enjoying the Christmas tree.

Pray for Our Nation

Got A Burning Question? Ask Me Here!

Featured Blog Of The Week

Featured Blog Of The Week
Afro-Europe Blog

What I'm Listening to Right Now

What I'm Listening to Right Now
"Food & Liquor 2: The Great American Rap Album" by Lupe Fiasco

What I'm Reading Right Now

What I'm Reading Right Now
"Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets"

Twitter

Far Above Rubies's Fan Box

If You Like What You're Reading, Share!

Share |

They Like Me, They Really Really Like Me!