Friday, October 15, 2010

Making Strides to Fight Breast Cancer!

Amy with her Mother, a cancer survivor, and her daughter, Abby.


I absolutely love the month of October- the beautiful change in color of the leaves, the crisp air, and of course, my wedding anniversary (2 years on the 24th!). I also love it because it's Breast Cancer Awareness month, a chance to spread the message to women to do self-checks, go for mammograms, and raise money for finding a cure. 

In 2007 and 2008, I walked in the "Run/Walk for Cancer" in Newark, NJ. Unfortunately, since I've been sick, I haven't been able to. But I want to use my blog as a platform for a couple of my friends who are raising money for the cause.

Amy, who was featured in "It's Not Just Us Sistas" in "Hair Stories" is seeking donations for her team. She shares:

Each year, I walk to honor my mom's survival! I walk for my aunt. I walk in memory of my grandmother, my great-grandmother, and my great aunt all who bravely faced this disease. I walk for countless family friends. I walk to raise money for a cure so Abby will never have to walk for me or for herself. Donate if you can...at the very least, pray for great weather for the walk!

Today, there is more hope than ever for people facing breast cancer. However, there is much work to be done to find promising new treatments, increase awareness about the importance of mammograms, help all women get access to screenings and care, and connect those impacted by the disease with the information, day-to-day help, and emotional support they need to wage their battle against breast cancer.


I believe that hope for a world without breast cancer starts with me. That’s why I'm walking in the American Cancer Society Making Strides Against Breast Cancer event. Not only is this my opportunity to join my community to fight back against breast cancer, it is a way to inspire hope by raising funds and awareness to help those facing the disease and save more lives.


And you can be a part of it, too. 

I have signed up to walk and hope you will join me in my effort by signing up to join my team or making a donation in support of my participation. Hope starts with us."


If you would like to make a contribution, please click here. As soon as I finish with this post, I'm going to donate. Won't you join us?



Another great thing about this month is the chance to pull out your cute sweaters, scarves and boots. My friend Kathy (poet, writer, teacher, wife, hiker, animal lover extraordinaire) has recently started a business hand-crafting beautiful jewelry. You'll notice a little ad box on the left side of this page which links to her site.


Right now she's got an awesome deal going on:

 "My father-in-law is a cancer survivor so during the month of October, every purchase you make from Natures handmade jewelry, I will donate $1.00 to the American Cancer Society (www.cancer.org). Enjoy shopping & don't forget, FB friends get 10% off their order!"

You can check out her Facebook page here. Hit "Like" and trust me, the savings will add up! 

Now I want to open the ComBox for anyone who's raising funds or awareness for the fight against Cancer. Feel free to include a link to your site.



0 comments:

There was an error in this gadget

Picture of The Week

Picture of The Week
K and Z enjoying the Christmas tree.

Pray for Our Nation

Got A Burning Question? Ask Me Here!

Featured Blog Of The Week

Featured Blog Of The Week
Afro-Europe Blog

What I'm Listening to Right Now

What I'm Listening to Right Now
"Food & Liquor 2: The Great American Rap Album" by Lupe Fiasco

What I'm Reading Right Now

What I'm Reading Right Now
"Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets"

Twitter

Far Above Rubies's Fan Box

If You Like What You're Reading, Share!

Share |

They Like Me, They Really Really Like Me!