Monday, October 18, 2010

My Hair is "Ghetto Fab"?


Yeah, so when I first saw the above picture, I thought "Cute." Then when I read the caption, it was more like, "What the h...?!?" From BGLH:

"For those who are unaware, Kohls is a major American department store. They revealed this “Ghetto Fab” (their words, not mine) wig for Halloween that makes you look like….. you’re natural? The tag line is “The disco-inspired Afro style of this adult wig makes it perfect for your festive outfit.”

I love the way they conflate “disco”, “festive” and “Afro” with ghetto. o_O When I think “Ghetto Fab” I think candy-colored weave… not a curly head of hair. This was clearly conceived by someone who has no clue about black culture.

At the end of the day, I looked at all this with a mystified expression and asked myself, “Who does this?”

I have no clue who would think calling a curly afro "Ghetto Fab" at KOHL'S... I SHOP AT KOHL'S... was a great idea, but I think the commentor who wrote we should call and complain has an excellent idea. I'm going to!

I went natural. Didn't know that's synonymous with "Ghetto Fab". By the way, that's me today, lol!

6 comments:

Alan said...

LOL!! Totally with you on the commentator. Probably written by a 40 something white guy who still says PHAT and DA BOMB. Nothing against my white friends lol.

Alisha De Freitas said...

Funny how I just said at lunch today that my father still says "da bomb" and "jive turkey." It's like a weird amalgamation of past decades' slang. He also uses "bad" like MJ, but I'm okay with that.

Anonymous said...

i love your hair. and that natural look is in no way ghetto-fab.

smdh.
-Naomi

Alisha De Freitas said...

Thanks, Naomi! It made me really say "WHAT!?" The funny thing is, the wig is actually cute. I have no problem with the product itself- but that name? Yeah, smdh.

Russ said...

I think you look cute, but then I'm one of those white guys, so what do I know...

Alisha De Freitas said...

Thanks, Russ. But you are NOT one of THOSE white guys!

:-)

There was an error in this gadget

Picture of The Week

Picture of The Week
K and Z enjoying the Christmas tree.

Pray for Our Nation

Got A Burning Question? Ask Me Here!

Featured Blog Of The Week

Featured Blog Of The Week
Afro-Europe Blog

What I'm Listening to Right Now

What I'm Listening to Right Now
"Food & Liquor 2: The Great American Rap Album" by Lupe Fiasco

What I'm Reading Right Now

What I'm Reading Right Now
"Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets"

Twitter

Far Above Rubies's Fan Box

If You Like What You're Reading, Share!

Share |

They Like Me, They Really Really Like Me!