Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Texas Church: We've Been a "Bunch of Jerks"

From Q:


"In a fit of honesty or perhaps confession, a Christian church in Texas admitted last week that they’ve been anything but Christian. Christ Covenant Church in Beaumont, Texas purchased a prominent billboard on which they posted the following message: “What a bunch of jerks!”

As the church’s website declared:

The church has failed. That’s right; we’ve messed up, big time. The church was SUPPOSED to be a reflection of the God it claimed to serve. The church was SUPPOSED to be the hands and feet of Jesus Christ. But, for the most part, the church has failed.

Our failure has left a bad taste in people’s mouths. Our mistakes have led to a lack of credibility. Our messes have caused people to seek answers for this life elsewhere. And really, who could blame people for giving up on the church? Ghandi had a very good point when he said “I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.”

. . . At Christ Covenant Church, do you know what our response is? Guilty as charged."





...Our research confirms what the billboard attempts to acknowledge. The majority of young people in America indeed view Christians as judgmental, hypocritical, anti-gay, and too political, among other things. If the old proverb that “confession is the first step to repentance” then this may be more than a billboard off I-10 eastbound. It may be a sign that believers in a state where traditional Christianity still dominates are waking up to our post-Christian reality."

To read the whole story, click here




To read more on this subject, check out these stories:

When Christians Get It Wrong

The New Face of American Evangelicalism


Losing Our Religion: Generations X & Y at Q


Five Things I Hate About Us

2 comments:

Alan said...

Excellent post, and kudos for the church. We are a bunch of jerks, I try not to be, but I think i still fall into the judgmental role at times, We all need to be more like Christ and less like christians.

Alisha De Freitas said...

Amen! I have really been trying to consciously work on this. I've realized I've accidentally said things harshly or offended even when I had no intention. So I'm learning to watch my tone and to make sure my message is said with charity and not cynically.

There was an error in this gadget

Picture of The Week

Picture of The Week
K and Z enjoying the Christmas tree.

Pray for Our Nation

Got A Burning Question? Ask Me Here!

Featured Blog Of The Week

Featured Blog Of The Week
Afro-Europe Blog

What I'm Listening to Right Now

What I'm Listening to Right Now
"Food & Liquor 2: The Great American Rap Album" by Lupe Fiasco

What I'm Reading Right Now

What I'm Reading Right Now
"Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets"

Twitter

Far Above Rubies's Fan Box

If You Like What You're Reading, Share!

Share |

They Like Me, They Really Really Like Me!