Monday, January 24, 2011

The Heartlessness of This Guy Never Ceases to Amaze Me

 Are you sure about that?


So on a few different blogs this weekend, I read about creepy Atheistic Evangelist Extraordinaire PZ Myers latest post on how seeing pictures of aborted fetuses does not bother him the least bit. In fact, he almost seems to glory in how unaffected he is by them. Or chopped up animals, for that matter:

"...the standard bullying tactics of waving bloody fetuses might cow the squeamish, but I'm a biologist. I've guillotined rats. I've held eyeballs in my hand and peeled them apart with a pair of scissors. I've used a wet-vac to clean up a lake of half-clotted blood from an exsanguinated dog. I've opened bodies and watched the intestines do their slow writhing dance, I've been elbow deep in blood, I've split open cats and stabbed them in the heart with a perfusion needle. I've extracted the brains of mice…with a pair of pliers. I've scooped brains out of buckets, I've counted dendrites in slices cut from the brains of dead babies.


You want to make me back down by trying to inspire revulsion with dead baby pictures? I look at them unflinchingly and see meat. And meat does not frighten me."

So at what point in gaining his degree did he lose his humanity? Once they bestowed the "PH.D" on him? I'm also wondering why more people in the comboxes were upset about the animals than the cavalier attitude towards the humans?

I know I have a couple of readers who are atheists or agnostics... I'm wondering how arguments like these make you feel? I know no group is a monolith, so how do you feel when well-known and even respected Atheistic leaders make cringe-worthy statements like this?

4 comments:

April Joy said...

it makes me sad :(

Alisha De Freitas said...

It makes me sad... and angry. And then scared. :-(

Anonymous said...

I would suggest that beleivers not cringe at any of this kind of talk. Non-beleivers tend to exploit and mock the weak stomch and hyper-sensitivity of Christians. Some are very good at puppeteering us, pulling our stringes to get a reaction. We know that evil exists in this world, and this guy is just speaking words that are only indirectly offensive. Not even scratching the surface of true kind of evil that we battle every day. The truth is that there are some requirements to desnsitize oneself for certain kidns of professions. For example a militant may be required to kill someone he doesn't know...could be a father, brother, husband..with his bear hands. etc.

If his statement is that he is desensitized than I would reply..."well I hope so, for your (professional) sake!" lol

To be honest I think that judgement is candy to the righteous as spite is candy to the agnostic. Both offer a sense of power. Both are unholy.

On another note, when something is dead, its dead. I would challenge his critique to public strategy by destroy something living watching it scream, squirm, and cry and then see if he's as poetically desensitized. Cause we already have those kinds of people..

Alisha De Freitas said...

Hey Anon,

It's not just the desensitization that is frightening to me. In truth, nurses, nurses aides, home health care workers, lab techs, researchers and doctors of all stripes must be "desensitized" to varying degrees or they would be working in other fields. I'm not in the medical field at all, but I don't run crying at the sight of blood or excrement.

What's so disturbing is the fact he equates dead humans as simply being meat to "scoop"!

I love your last point- it is a far cry from working with the dead then butchering the living.

There was an error in this gadget

Picture of The Week

Picture of The Week
K and Z enjoying the Christmas tree.

Pray for Our Nation

Got A Burning Question? Ask Me Here!

Featured Blog Of The Week

Featured Blog Of The Week
Afro-Europe Blog

What I'm Listening to Right Now

What I'm Listening to Right Now
"Food & Liquor 2: The Great American Rap Album" by Lupe Fiasco

What I'm Reading Right Now

What I'm Reading Right Now
"Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets"

Twitter

Far Above Rubies's Fan Box

If You Like What You're Reading, Share!

Share |

They Like Me, They Really Really Like Me!