...is a wild beast loosed upon this world" so said Albert Camus. And although this Oxford doctor has the label of "ethicist", his ideas seem quite beastly to me. From The Christian Institute (H/T Catholic & Enjoying It!):
"Human embryos should be screened for their potential intelligence and only the smartest allowed to live, an Oxford University ethicist has argued.
In shocking remarks, Prof Julian Savulescu says embryos that do not pass the intelligence test should be destroyed for the good of society.
The Australian Professor is the Director of the Oxford Uehiro Centre for Practical Ethics, and claims that it is our “moral obligation” to use IVF to choose the most intelligent embryos.
Prof Savulescu said: “There are other ethical principles which should govern reproduction, such as the public interest.
“Even if an individual might have a stunningly good life as a psychopath, there might be reasons based on the public interest not to bring that individual into existence.
“My own view is that the economic and social benefits of higher cognition are reasons in favour of selection, but secondary to the benefits to the individual.
... Prof Neil Levy, Deputy Research Director of the Oxford Centre for Neuroethics, warned that investing in designer babies would be “an enormous waste of money”.
He added: “Why spend all that money when we could be doing so much with that money to increase the IQs and life spans of babies in sub-Saharan Africa?
“The pay-off in terms of raising quality of life for many people would be much greater than you’d get from concentrating on just a few.”
Sigh, designer babies, indeed. Pretty soon they'll want to screen to get rid of near-sightedness, as Erin commented once. Which is a shame, since I do believe glasses are so cute.
- 2013 (1)
- 2012 (206)
- "Chastity is curable if caught early."
- "You're HUGE" & Other Dumb Things Not to Say or Do...
- Doctor Nun Helps Bodies & Souls
- The Bell Curve: More on the "Love Wins" Debate
- Wanna Strip for Jesus? Or is Jesus Your 'Baby Dadd...
- Lenten Giving: Help Nancy
- The Fatty Faithful
- For Whom The Bell Tolls: Pastor Gets Axed After Qu...
- Faith Through Doubt
- Girl, 9, Nearly Dies After Saving 5 Year Old Siste...
- Trolling for Columbine
- Seventh Day Adventists Fastest Growing Denominatio...
- New Bible Draws Criticism for Gender-Neutral Langu...
- This Post is For You Anon!
- "A man without ethics..."
- Z at 20
- Blog Repost: Happy St. Patrick's Day! (So Who Was ...
- They Gave a Millimeter, and Tried to Take a Mile
- Gay Families More Accepted than Single Moms
- Flowers for Zoe or Joy in Zion
- Thankful to Be Alive
- Lent: Day Five of the Journey
- At This, I Shrug: A Look at Ayn Rand
- Like A Virgin?
- A Pastor's Rebuke to Single & Married Men
- Ash Wednesday in Two Minutes
- Are You Typical?
- Lent 101
- Charlie Sheen is "Winning"
- Happily Residing on the Virgin Isle
- Redefining Motherhood or Running from Responsibili...
- They Shoot Doubters, Don't They?
- Charlie's, ahem, "Angels"- The Rant Continues
- 2010 (199)
- 2009 (178)