Thursday, March 17, 2011

This Post is For You Anon!




I don't mind when people disagree with me. It's happened on this blog before. Actually, I think that might be more of an example of proselytizing with a twist of disagreement. Anyway, in real life people disagree with me constantly. My brother Joe and I have made it into a type of sibling sport, recently debating over Japan, nuclear power, sustainability, Baby Z and Charlie Sheen. Considering we, as children, were watching "Nightly News with Tom Brokaw" and reading Time, this is quite normal for us. But one thing I ask for in such squabbles is a certain amount of respect.

A little earlier today, "Anonymous" posted this comment in response to "A man without ethics...": "Before you posted this, you might have checked the source. If you had, you would have found that the Christian Institute simply made up most of the claims it attributed to Savulescu. Did someone say ethics?" Eww, why so snarky? It's already pretty whack that you didn't sign a name, but just doing the e-version of a drive-by does nothing to further your view. Let's say the Christian Institute totally decided to get all libelous on Dr. Savulescu's behind. Why not point out the error of their ways without just saying they fabricated an entire story on him? You pretty much just made your comment unethical (since I obviously am devoid of this value) by not providing any sources yourself. Why not add a couple of links? And why insinuate that I'm unethical for blogging on a story from another source? Ever read a blog before?

Okay, I'll tone down my sarcasm, that's not very nice of me. But, well, God's not done with me yet. Anyway, I decided to check out some of Dr. Savulescu's stuff for myself, since you do have a valid point that we should check with sources. I quickly found this video of a speech he made:


Genetically enhance humanity or face extinction - PART 1 from Ethics of the New Biosciences on Vimeo.

I also found his blog.  And about a trillion hits for him, including some other sites that have picked up on the Christian Institute story. The thing is, Anon, from perusing his blog, and a Guardian story he wrote last month, I'm not seeing anything from the Christian Institute story which seems to be contradictory to what Professor Savulescu has actually said or written himself. In the video, he advocates for genetically enhancing the human race for it's betterment and survival. This seems to be the same line of thinking attributed to his statements in the Christian Institute piece- that through the use of IVF, intellectually inferior people could be weeded out of the human gene pool. So where is the lies? Or the unethical story?

I should say, before I end this post, that I do not believe Professor Savulescu to be a beast, but this type of eugenics theory is extremely beastly. You don't have to agree with me- remember disagreement is fine. But in the future, I'd appreciate a little respect.

Thanks.

0 comments:

There was an error in this gadget

Picture of The Week

Picture of The Week
K and Z enjoying the Christmas tree.

Pray for Our Nation

Got A Burning Question? Ask Me Here!

Featured Blog Of The Week

Featured Blog Of The Week
Afro-Europe Blog

What I'm Listening to Right Now

What I'm Listening to Right Now
"Food & Liquor 2: The Great American Rap Album" by Lupe Fiasco

What I'm Reading Right Now

What I'm Reading Right Now
"Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets"

Twitter

Far Above Rubies's Fan Box

If You Like What You're Reading, Share!

Share |

They Like Me, They Really Really Like Me!