Thursday, April 7, 2011

Pretty & Powerful Kicks

An oil painting I did last year... even then, I guess I was expecting to expect...

I'm getting big as a result of my Z's steady growth. My belly sticks out a lot now- in fact, it seems I'm rapidly becoming all belly. From behind, I look pretty much like regular old Li. But I turn sideways, and my profile is like a camel.

It's been hard to feel pretty lately. I know why my body is changing, but I still find myself shocked by my appearance. It's funny how in the weeks before I found out I was pregnant, I felt "fat". Ha. I wish I could go back and smack November me in the face and then her pull up to see April Li. 

But imagining smacking myself silly is not healthy and does not help me feel prettier now (it certainly would not help a November me feel so great, either). But imagination is not a bad thing to put to use, so instead, I've been thinking about Z. How Z kicks constantly. I don't know if our little One is doing the moonwalk or playing soccer in there, but pretty much every day, throughout the day, I feel movement. Usually rapid taps, sometimes a lone jab. But Z's squiggles are constant. So I imagine Z in there getting plenty of exercise, practicing for when he or she will toddle on chubby legs across the living room. Or run for base during a game of tag. Or maybe glide across a court, going for a lay-up. Or triumphantly walking across a stage getting a diploma...

And that little excursion into fantasy does the trick. I'm holding my head up a little higher. Z kicked me right into pretty. :-)

3 comments:

Gujjari said...

This is the time, only mothers can feel, enjoy, and experience ...

Even God doesn't have the chance of these moments.

I am following your blog from now.

Stop at my blog and if you like follow my blog.

With Warm Regards.

http://mydaughtersdreams.blogspot.com

Alisha De Freitas said...

Hi Gujjari,

Thanks for commenting! These are definitely amazing experiences for me...like little miracles. I thank God for them. I will definitely check out your blog! :-)

Don said...

I always got a kick out of feeling the mom's stomach, awaiting movements and rubbing her tummy while talking to the unborn.

Childbirth [its creation] is amazing.

There was an error in this gadget

Picture of The Week

Picture of The Week
K and Z enjoying the Christmas tree.

Pray for Our Nation

Got A Burning Question? Ask Me Here!

Featured Blog Of The Week

Featured Blog Of The Week
Afro-Europe Blog

What I'm Listening to Right Now

What I'm Listening to Right Now
"Food & Liquor 2: The Great American Rap Album" by Lupe Fiasco

What I'm Reading Right Now

What I'm Reading Right Now
"Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets"

Twitter

Far Above Rubies's Fan Box

If You Like What You're Reading, Share!

Share |

They Like Me, They Really Really Like Me!