Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Jesus, Ellen & Ann



 Yes, His hair shines, but is it too 1st century?



This morning on the "Today" show, Ann Curry interviewed comedienne and talk show host Ellen DeGeneres, who is promoting her latest book.She offered up opinions on her relationship, homes, and even Jesus:




What struck me was that little bit about Jesus. Ann says Ellen writes in her book, "... if Jesus were alive today, there would be polls about him in 'US Weekly'." Ellen goes on to say that there would be polls about his appearance, like his long hair and robes. I got Ellen's point. That even Christ would be held to silly, superficial standards, and that people would jump at the chance to judge him on such.

But what got me was the "IF Jesus WERE alive today" part. IF? I immediately thought, HE IS! And people do happily judge Him. I've read in books, magazines and blogs about how Jesus isn't good- He spoke too harshly to some, didn't heal everyone, advised the rich young ruler to give away his wealth...

Ellen also mentions how her wife, Portia di Rossi, told her to be loved is important, but to be understood is profound. That statement, in itself, is profound. It also made me think of how many people today claim to love Jesus, but don't understand Him. Not his power, love or mercy.

Funny how a morning talk show could become a devotional, all before my first cup of coffee.

2 comments:

Don said...

Sure you didn't mean this post to be humorous by any means. But I couldn't stop laughing at where you read in various places about the things Jesus didn't accomplish and how he spoke harshly to some...

That just proves my point about the cold and frustrating nature of this world. We are not perfect, and never going to be, but this is just ridiculous.

Alisha De Freitas said...

Don, I guess it was kind of supposed to be funny... but maybe in a Alanis Morrisette/"Ironic" kind of way. But laughs are much better than smirks.

Seriously though, I really have read stuff like that... ha!

There was an error in this gadget

Picture of The Week

Picture of The Week
K and Z enjoying the Christmas tree.

Pray for Our Nation

Got A Burning Question? Ask Me Here!

Featured Blog Of The Week

Featured Blog Of The Week
Afro-Europe Blog

What I'm Listening to Right Now

What I'm Listening to Right Now
"Food & Liquor 2: The Great American Rap Album" by Lupe Fiasco

What I'm Reading Right Now

What I'm Reading Right Now
"Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets"

Twitter

Far Above Rubies's Fan Box

If You Like What You're Reading, Share!

Share |

They Like Me, They Really Really Like Me!