Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Is A Christian Rap Battle Brewing?




Move over Common & Drake. There's a new rap battle heating up.

First up, Washingtonian YouTube sensation Jefferson Bethke, who's video "Why I Hate Religion, But Love Jesus" has been viewed by millions in a matter of days (when I watched it like a week ago, it was at 3 million views; as of this writing, it's at over 13 million).

My friend Mary (hi, Mary!) facebooked me the link to this video, "Freestylin': Jesus= Religion", which takes Bethke to task over the meaning of "religion", what Jesus actually said (and didn't say), and the Law. This video features a Lutheran brother "freestyling"- at least that's what they claim. But considering this song's less-than spontaneous flow (in spots, he just stops and talks altogether), I really think it's more of a spoken word piece.


Okay, so it's not "Ether". But there were a few solid points made. Here's another:


There are tons of them popping up from Orthodox Christians, Muslims and even atheists. I think the coolest part of this "beef" is just how many people are talking about it, debating and sharing. It's funny to me since just a couple of weeks ago, I was reading an article about the rising levels of indifference regarding religion in this country. While I believe this is undoubtedly true, Bethke's video and the many counter arguments being read and heard all over the internet prove that many people are passionate on the subject.


0 comments:

There was an error in this gadget

Picture of The Week

Picture of The Week
K and Z enjoying the Christmas tree.

Pray for Our Nation

Got A Burning Question? Ask Me Here!

Featured Blog Of The Week

Featured Blog Of The Week
Afro-Europe Blog

What I'm Listening to Right Now

What I'm Listening to Right Now
"Food & Liquor 2: The Great American Rap Album" by Lupe Fiasco

What I'm Reading Right Now

What I'm Reading Right Now
"Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets"

Twitter

Far Above Rubies's Fan Box

If You Like What You're Reading, Share!

Share |

They Like Me, They Really Really Like Me!