Wednesday, October 3, 2012

If we have a war on women, this is Armageddon.




Slutwalks. Giant costumes of vaginas. The war on women.

After being bombarded with stories like these, it becomes all too easy to grow jaded. I admit, I had. From Sandra Fluke to Ann Coulter, it seems I've been hearing non-stop chatter of the oppression, or lack thereof, facing millions of women in this country.

Then I got a reality check by way of "Half the Sky", an Independent Lens documentary on PBS.

Shoma, a young woman living in the red light district of Kalighat, in the Indian city of Kolkata, was 13 years old when the man she had married sold her to a brothel shortly after their wedding.
“In the beginning I would tremble and stand there and cry. I was abused and beaten up. They used to tie up my hands in the back and tie up my legs and beat me with a belt,” she recalled of her time as a victim of India’s sex trade.“There was no possibility of escape.” (more here)

For years, Amie Kandeh endured threats and beatings at the hands of her husband. The end finally came when the man, in an alcohol-fueled rage, told her she was going to die. What makes Kandeh’s story more salient is that at the same time she was being brutalized, she was counseling other women who were victims of similar abuse.
“So I had this double life,” says Kandeh, the director of the Gender-Based Violence Program with the International Rescue Committee (IRC) in Sierra Leone. (more here)

While the World Health Organization and United Nations report that the number of woman dying from pregnancy-related causes is slowly decreasing, it remains a cause for extreme concern in many parts of the world where women are denied access to basic medical attention.
“In much of the developing world, women don’t even have the basic right to go and see a healthcare professional. It’s not even considered something that women should do,” says Sheryl WuDunn, co-author of Half the Sky. “And that’s the attitude that is prevalent in so much of the developing world. So it’s discrimination and often it leads to death, so it’s discrimination to death.” (more here)
Below is part one. Part two will be aired tonight. If you get a chance, watch it. Warning: it tells the heart-wrenching stories of girls and women who have been beaten, sold, raped and disfigured. I wound up sobbing. They are horrendous- there is a three year old rape survivor. So please be cautioned.

Oh, and if for some sad and callous reason you feel you can dismiss these stories because it's happening so far away, you should know things like this happen in America, too.



 

2 comments:

Jesus-in-the-city said...

Hi Alisha!

I've not watched this program, but I have also had my heart stirred by the plight of the downtrodden in this world, especially for those held in the bondage of human trafficking and sexual slavery. The statistics say that this is a whopping 27 women and children, globally. This may not be politically correct, but I get so annoyed when I hear Americans of African ancestry condemn their fellow humans for the American slave trade when more human beings are enslaved today than any other time in history. I want to say, "if you think it's so horrific, then what are you doing to help the very real slave population RIGHT NOW?!

But that was a major digression, one thing that really moved my husband and I to start supporting missionaries who are on the mission field fighting this battle on the front lines, was a YouTube video by Christian speaker, Christine Caine (I believe that's her name, but I could be wrong).

She tells the story of coming upon a few women who had just been rescued from trafficking and witnessing to them about the Lord, Jesus. After speaking to one of the women for a while, the woman stopped her and said, "if what you're saying about your God is true, why didn't you come sooner?"

After listening to that message, I started praying with my husband about ways we could help and the easiest way from the convenience of our own living room, being the average busy American couple and parents, was to help monetarily, however we could. As God would have it, a few days after praying, one of our best friends contacted us, saying she was going to Mexico for a year to work with women and teens rescued from sex trafficking, so we had a loved one, from our own lives, willing to brave the front lines, who we could pray for and financially support, and that was such a blessing.

Honestly, if you are Christian, and you don't have the money, even just making a concerted effort to pray for these human beings on a regular basis and trust God for their Freedom, is better than nothing. I bet you'd be amazed at the doors God will open up for a heart that is willing and broken for the things that break His heart.

Thanks for bringing light to this, Alisha, and for being moved by it. God has given us His Spirit for SUCH greatness and to change the things going on out there that would be hopeless if it weren't for Him!

God bless!
Aja

Alisha De Freitas said...

I admire your friend for getting out there! That's awesome! I'll be praying for her.

You're right, even if we can't go personally, or even donate, we can pray.

You're very welcome.

There was an error in this gadget

Picture of The Week

Picture of The Week
K and Z enjoying the Christmas tree.

Pray for Our Nation

Got A Burning Question? Ask Me Here!

Featured Blog Of The Week

Featured Blog Of The Week
Afro-Europe Blog

What I'm Listening to Right Now

What I'm Listening to Right Now
"Food & Liquor 2: The Great American Rap Album" by Lupe Fiasco

What I'm Reading Right Now

What I'm Reading Right Now
"Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets"

Twitter

Far Above Rubies's Fan Box

If You Like What You're Reading, Share!

Share |

They Like Me, They Really Really Like Me!