Monday, November 12, 2012

The Crisis of Blue



Poor Beth Cox. She's suffering a severe crisis of sorts, and it began on Election Night. Like so many other vehement Romney supporters, she cannot fathom what went wrong. From The Washington Post:

Here in the heart of Red America, Cox and many others spent last week grieving not only for themselves and their candidate but also for a country they now believe has gone wildly off track. The days after Barack Obama’s reelection gave birth to a saying in Central Tennessee: Once was a slip, but twice is a sign....

Among so many Romney voters, perhaps none had been as devoted to the cause — as indefatigable, as confident, as prayerful — as 44-year-old Beth Cox, a member of the school board and a volunteer who had committed to Romney early in the Republican primaries. She had run the small GOP campaign headquarters in Sumner County by herself for six days a week during the last four months. She had been the first in line to vote on the first day of early voting.

Now it was left to her to clean up the aftermath. She stood next to a space heater in a small building in the exurbs of Nashville, taking inventory of what supplies they had left and packing up boxes of red-white-and-blue streamers. She put away the pink Romney shirts, the white Romney-Ryan hats and the GOP bumper stickers with the Tennessee logo. Down came the sign that read: “We Built It!” Down came the elephant flag and the George W. Bush commemorative emblem. Down came the signed picture of Romney, with a typed inscription that read: “This is a great time to be a Republican.”

But now Cox was wondering: Was it?

She had devoted her life to causes she believed were at the heart of her faith and at the core of her Republican Party. She counseled young married families at church, spoke about right to life in area schools and became a stay-at-home mom with two daughters.
Now, in a single election night, parts of her country had legalized marijuana, approved gay marriage and resoundingly reelected a president who she worried would “accelerate our decline.”

When I say poor Beth Cox, I'm not being facetious. I honestly feel sorry for her. The article describes a woman who loves her country, her pastor hubby and their two beautiful girls. She leads a women's prayer group. She scrapbooks. She sounds like a nice woman. She also sounds a lot like many of the women I use to worship with at my former church. Unfortunately, she seems to be living in somewhat of a bubble.

I've read numerous autopsies over the past week about what went wrong- or for many of my Dem family and friends, what went right. Romney lost the Asian vote. And Latinos, although there is much contention why. And of course, many ladies.

So how could Republicans not see it? How could people like Cox not have an inkling Romney wasn't a shew-in?

Far be it from me to add to the cacophony of posts trying to dig in to the raison d'etre. I know living in an urban city in Jersey, my experiences of politics are a far cry from Cox's, so I wasn't really surprised that Obama won re-election.

But I'd love to hear from you, Dear Reader. I purposely stayed out of the fray for the most part because I'm pretty disgusted with American politics. But with the election blessedly over, I'm opening up the discussion. What do you think the GOP needs to do to win back the White House? Go left? Go farther right? Embrace minorities (in a more genuine fashion)? Retreat from the same sex marriage battle? Weigh-in, but NO DISRESPECT. Seriously. I will not post any comments that are nasty. Don't like it? Go write at your own blog.

6 comments:

Naomi said...

I was watching Meghan McCain on Anderson Live after the election and she was saying the same thing- She loves her party (Rep) and was saying that there is a big disconnect from women, and other minorities. She is criticized for her somewhat extremist views (pro gay marriage, etc) and believes that someone with more moderate views needs to be in the spotlight. She said the GOP had proposed that a neo-conserv like Rick Santorum should run (Which her response was "What are you smoking?") I think there needs to be more unity in government, period. Maybe Chris Christie would run? :) My husband and I (both independants) would vote for him over Hilary Clinton.

John Henry said...

40% of eligible voters sat this election out. They didn't see either party as worth voting for. Of those who voted, how many did so reluctantly, for what they thought of as the lesser evil? If the GOP wants to win votes, it has to sell something that isn't currently on the market. Here are done if my suggestions:

1. War: Bring the troops home now, and no more acts of war (yes, that includes drone strikes and assassination missions) without a dire emergency or Congressional declaration of war.

2. Abortion: No reversal of Roe v Wade, but increased support and funding for crisis pregnancy centers, adoption agencies, and other abortion alternative programs.

3. The economy: A tax on goods and services produced without compliance with federal employment law. (For instance, if your customer support center pays $3/hour in Bangalore, it is not in compliance with federal minimum wage laws, and should therefore be taxed.)

4. Immigration: A clear path to citizenship for illegal immigrants who come here to work, but do not commit any other felonies, coupled with a nominal fine. We need them, and they need the work; let's stop pretending otherwise. We could couple this with harsher penalties for immigrants who commit felonies to appease the hard-liners.

I think these would all be very popular with the voting public, if not with campaign donors. I can think of a few others too, but that will have to wait until I'm in front of a real keyboard. :)

Mark said...


I think John Henry's ideas are excellent, and I would vote for Henry if he decided to run (and also if I lived in America).

I can't believe that a man who believes 47% of Americans are lazy moochers still garnered 48% of the popular vote. It looks like if a republican candidate wanted to throw away his election chances, he would have to drown a sack of kittens on the Republican Convention stage. Even then, he would probably get 45% of the popular vote.

Alisha De Freitas said...

@Naomi,

I've had some issues with Christie, but I love the way he's handled the Hurricane Sandy emergency/clean-up. And he definitely did not let politics get in his way, working with Obama and FEMA.

@John Henry, wow! Great response! Are you going to run for office? But do your suggestions would require much movement from hard right policies... do you think many pols would be up for moderation?

@Mark,

Hello! *That* video was just plain disgusting. I wasn't going to support him anyway, but after that, I was thoroughly grossed out.

John Henry said...

@Alisha and Mark, I've thought about running, but it's just thinking at this point.

Truth be told, I don't think the Republican party (or "conservative" culture) is flexible enough to make these kinds of changes. If they did, "hard right" folks would find a welcoming home in the Democratic party, which has been bombing civilians and deporting record numbers of immigrants lately. If I were a Republican, I'd be happy to let the Democratic party have those folks.

But I don't hold out much hope of a revolution within the GOP. Rather, I think it's a party that needs to be renewed periodically. Back in the 1850s, the Whig party treated the abolitionists much the same way the GOP treats pro-lifers today. They paid them some lip service on the campaign trail to get their votes, winked at the Southern states, and proceeded to do nothing of value about the slavery problem once they were in office. That went on for awhile, until the fugitive slave act, which was the final straw. Abolitionists got sick of the lip service and formed their own party - the Republicans. Lincoln got elected, and that was the end of slavery - and of the Whig party. It's about time for decent Americans to do the same to the Republican party.

I try to encourage people to vote third party because every vote for a third party candidate helps dispel the self-perpetuating myth that the two big parties are here to stay. If you think it will help people vote third party, I'll announce my candidacy. I have some thoughts for a party platform (basically a focus on win-win solutions to issues, rather than antagonistic politics) but it would naturally be a work in progress that would need plenty of help fleshing out. I'll announce it and send you the link if you promise to help contribute ideas and thoughts to the platform.

Don said...

Great topic.

Hmm. I've read quite a few articles recently that spoke of the decline of the GOP Party which I'm sure is propaganda intended to create stir or change. I'm actually surprised Romney received as many votes as he did. I mean, I've always believed him to be very much out of touch with the new America. Either that, or he didn't believe that Republicans would vote for a man who might've thought on the same lines as President Obama (so Romney pandered), yet was afraid to admit? Yes, I fully understand how "backwards" that all sounds but I'm not sold on the fact that Romney's heart and soul revolves around all the Republican Party represents. If so, he wouldn't flip flop so much? Who can possibly relate to "that" Romney?

For instance, many of Romney's top advisers were partly responsible for constructing "ObamaCare", although Mitt rallied strongly against it. Lol.


Also, there haven't been any "sensible" GOP candidates nominated since maybe George Bush, Sr. I honestly believe that has to do ALOT with everything. As voters, we pretty much identify one republican to be the exact same as the last one, and Bush, Jr., McCain, Palin, Romney, Ryan did nothing to alter our thought process.

That said, and viewing things from an America on a whole POV it would've sufficed GOP better if Romney had chosen someone along the lines of Rubio or a strong politician from battleground states such as Florida or Ohio, etc.

Barack Obama transcends politics and although he's created even more debt I believe his charisma and penchant for soul-stirring speeches makes the majority of voters forget that he's still a politician. So they vote for the man and not necessarily the office or political party.

Not to mention the number of blacks and other ethnic minority groups who simply voted for the underdog as more of a slap in the face to the white power structure in America.


Just my two cents.

There was an error in this gadget

Picture of The Week

Picture of The Week
K and Z enjoying the Christmas tree.

Pray for Our Nation

Got A Burning Question? Ask Me Here!

Featured Blog Of The Week

Featured Blog Of The Week
Afro-Europe Blog

What I'm Listening to Right Now

What I'm Listening to Right Now
"Food & Liquor 2: The Great American Rap Album" by Lupe Fiasco

What I'm Reading Right Now

What I'm Reading Right Now
"Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets"

Twitter

Far Above Rubies's Fan Box

If You Like What You're Reading, Share!

Share |

They Like Me, They Really Really Like Me!